09 October 2006

My Poor Yankees :-(

As much as it hurts to write this article I think it's only fair. The Yankees, although making the playoffs 11 years in a row, have failed to win it all. I don't have any excuses for them and I don't plan on making any. We had a great season, winning the division by 10 games, but unable to come through in the playoffs.

The worst thing about this postseason is that Yankees manager, Joe Torre, will probably get fired. He doesn't deserve the boot but figuring that The Boss, George Steinbrenner, has a patience problem I see him, however unjust, firing Torre and replacing him with his pal Lou Piniella. The problem isn't Joe Torre. As a manager you can only do so much. No other manager will win you an average of 98 games a year over 11 years. No other manager will win you 9 division titles in a row. No other manager will take your team to the postseason for 11 straight years. As a manager you can only do so much, the rest falls on your talent.

The Yankees have a very talented team but what they suffer is chemistry. I do think they need to shuffle up the team a little bit, get some youth in there especially in the bullpen, that way they will have a consistent team year in year out. They actually do have a decent farm system and that will prove itself in the next couple years. They shouldn't pick up the options on Sheffield or Mussina, they shouldn't resign Bernie Williams. Let those guys go play somewhere else and get a guy like Barry Zito in the rotation along with maybe one more pitcher via trade. As far as A-Rod, well, I love the guy but I'm starting to realize that he may not be a good fit on this team. If he can be traded for a top pitcher I'd go for that. If they do keep him then I would trade Giambi for a younger version of himself, even if less powerful. Giambi still has life in him and can be a great first baseman or DH on a number of teams.

But keep Torre, George! Keep him. Torre is the best thing going for you. He is one of the greatest managers in the history of sports and I hope you realize that and keep him around. Replacing Torre won't better your team. Fielding a better team will better your team (if that makes sense, haha). I want to see Torre in pinstripes next year and I think most people agree. Hopefully Steinbrenner agrees.
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

0 comments: